A personalized safety plan is an individualized plan that provides possible strategies that can increase your safety and prepare you in advance for the possibility of further violence/abuse. A personalized safety plan is needed whenever the potential for abuse is identified.
Creating a safety plan involves mapping out actions to increase your safety and the safety of your children by preparing in advance for the possibility of further abuse and violence. This safety plan offers different alternatives which you could consider. You will know what is best for yourself and what actions are or are not appropriate in your own situation.
In creating a safety plan, it is important to remember:
- A safety plan is needed whenever the potential for abuse is identified.
- It is helpful to be aware of the resources available to abused, sexually-exploited, prostituted, trafficked and/or harassed women and girls in your community.
- Each safety plan is specifically designed for actions that you can take. A separate safety outline has been created to assist you in creating a children’s safety plan specifically for your children.
- Safety plans must be and reviewed and/or revised regularly. Abusers/harassers/pimps/traffickers can shift the tactics they use suddenly and quickly and the risk of harm may change accordingly.
- It is important to have both a short and long-term emergency safety plan.
- For your safety, it may be necessary to keep your personal safety plan hidden