The London Abused Women’s Centre (LAWC) is a radical feminist organization that provides counselling, advocacy and support for women and girls abused by their intimate partner(s), sexually harassed, sexually exploited, prostituted and/or sex trafficked. The agency advocates for personal, social and political change to end male violence against women and girls.
The agency is an abolitionist, anti-pornography agency. Women applying should support these views.
LAWC is seeking a radical feminist Advocate/Counsellor with a profound understanding of the impact and dynamics of male violence against women and girls in their intimate relationships, in sexual harassment, and in sexual exploitation, prostitution and sex trafficking. Candidates ideally have a minimum of five years of experience supporting abused and sexually exploited women and girls.
- A combination of training, education and experience in providing support, advocacy and counselling to women and girls from a radical feminist analysis of woman abuse and prostitution;
- Exemplary counselling and group facilitation skills;
- Experience working from a woman-centred, trauma-informed model;
- Demonstrated skill in advocating on behalf of women and girls at individual, community and institutional levels;
- Knowledge of the relationship between abuse, trauma, mental health, health and substance use;
- Exemplary skills in supporting women and girls who have been prostituted, sex trafficked, sexually assaulted, and/or sexually harassed;
- Experience in supporting women/girls who have been subjected to non-state torture;
- Experience in working with women and girls from diverse cultures, and women and girls who are being abused in same-sex relationships;
- Knowledge of local resources/services;
- Knowledge of how children are impacted by exposure to male violence against women and girls;
- Access to a vehicle;
- Experience working with women in the criminal justice system is an asset; and,
- French, Spanish, and other second language skills are an asset.
This position is full time with a combination of day and evening work.
Please submit a resume and cover letter of application by April 15, 2019
Submit cover letter and resume by email to:
Director of Programs and Development
London Abused Women’s Centre
No phone calls or personal visits please.
While we appreciate all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.